All Things Andrea

All Things Andrea

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Off the Beaten Path



In attempting to avoid rush hour traffic on 222 last week,


I took a detour and stumbled across this little fabric shop in the Leola area.


Look what I found in this lady's shop - 


an "Amish Puzzle Ball" pincushion, made by a woman in her 90's who lives in a nursing home in Denver, PA.
It was priced at $3.50.  I could cry - how many hours did she spend stitching it, only to sell it for a mere $3.50??  (It makes me wonder if I too will be sitting on the edge of a hospital bed in my last days, stitching for pennies, trying to pay my bills - oh dear!)


I had to go back today and buy the remaining ones.  They are stitched out of  whatever scraps of fabric she can get her hands on - some vintage, some new.  I'm hoping to visit this dear lady and learn how to make these amazing pincushions.


Just love them - the fabric, the colors, the stitching, the pom poms - everything about them!  

I had seen this collection of them in Better Homes and Gardens magazine a number of years ago, but had never stumbled across one in person until now.  I didn't even know what they were called.

Love them....

No comments:

Post a Comment