All Things Andrea

All Things Andrea

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter Traditions


Today was a busy day of preparation and celebration, but I had just enough time to make butter again this year, my annual Easter tradition for the third year now.  I know it sounds a little goofy, but I am comforted in knowing that my dear friend Phyllis gets the significance of my tradition too.  :)

A quart of raw milk cream yields approximately 1 1/4 lbs. of butter.  Believe it or not, that usually lasts me until Easter rolls around again.  The logs store nicely in the freezer wrapped in parchment paper, then in a plastic freezer bag.  Of course, I use it very sparingly since it's such a sacred commodity, and a bit pricey too (I paid $11.00 for the quart of cream from grass-fed cows at the farm down the road).  But it works great; I use commercial butter for baking, use olive oil as much as possible when I can, and save this for the times that nothing other than butter will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment