All Things Andrea

All Things Andrea

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Ode to Chard



Believe it or not, I picked the last of my Swiss chard today!  I said farewell by enjoying it in a yummy breakfast salad.

OK, I'll admit - I have this strange affinity for Swiss chard.  While I can't say that I love the flavor, I am intrigued by a green leafy vegetable that can be planted first thing in the Spring, is able to endure the ravages of Summer's heat and insects, lasts into the frosty stages of Fall and only barely misses making it to Winter.   For just pennies, it feeds me the entire growing season, whether I use its tender, young leaves in a salad, blend the heck out of it in a smoothie,  cook its stalks, or wilt its greens.  Because of its noteworthy character (not to mention its beauty!), I'm determined to learn to like its flavor, and eat it because I enjoy it, not just because it's inexpensive and healthful.  I'm not quite there yet, but I'm getting there.  And, I'm convinced it's more about me needing to learn how to prepare it tastefully vs. demanding that it please my palate.

So, here's to you, Swiss chard!

No comments:

Post a Comment