All Things Andrea

All Things Andrea

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Did You Know...


... that the numbers on those produce stickers actually mean something?!

They are called a "PLU code"; the "PLU" stands for "price lookup".  In this case, the "3127" means that this piece of produce is a large pomegranate.  If it were smaller, it would be assigned another number.

What is of most interest to me is determining whether a piece of produce is genetically modified (believe me - a very, very BAD thing!!!!).  If it was genetically modified, there would be an "8" in front of the 4 digits (i.e. 83127).

What sparked my interest in such a mundane thing??  I was at Root's yesterday; one of the stand owners, who knows I'm always looking for organic produce, told me that one of his customers told him that his pomegranates were genetically modified.  WHAT??!!!  NO WAY!!!  Not pomegranates, one of my favorite winter fruits!  Not the fruit that I introduced to my nephew, that has become his favorite fruit.  So, that sparked the above research on my part. 

Thankfully, this pomegranate is not genetically modified, and likely nor are any pomegranates.

Horray!

3 comments:

  1. Most GM foods don't arrive to the consumer as recognizable fruits and vegetables. They get chemically broken down into various components to make stuff like "natural flavouring" or they get chopped up for canned soups, sauces, etc.

    It was neat to learn about the extra number on the PLU though. I'll keep an eye out just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I just googled this bc I am eating a pomegranate for breakfast. Yup 3127. I always buy organic when possible. And look for the number started with 9. So this threw me off. Glad to have it confirmed. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your information as I was looking into growing some from seeds I don't know if it's a hybrid or not but I didn't want it to be GMO thank you for the information about the numbers

    ReplyDelete