All Things Andrea

All Things Andrea

Sunday, July 17, 2011

First Ever Garlic Harvest!


I was so excited to harvest my first crop of garlic!  But, then was a bit disappointed when I saw how small the bulbs were.  I did a little research on line - I'm guessing it's because I didn't cut off the scapes when they first shot up (I didn't even know what garlic scapes were until now!). 


I was so enamored with the pods at the top of the scapes that I didn't think about the fact that the plant might be putting too much energy into the lovely scapes instead of developing the bulb underground.
I was bummed until I remembered that gardening is not just about the final product, but about the learning process.  For a gardener, there's always next year to correct mistakes and try again! 

The braided bulbs are hanging in my kitchen, eager to add flavor and nourishment to upcoming concoctions.


No comments:

Post a Comment