All Things Andrea

All Things Andrea

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Edging Prowess


I finally got the motivation to do a bit of edging around my raised beds. (It certainly looks better than the tall grass that the mower kept missing!) I love the look once everything has been edged, but I always dread a sore back and aching muscles. However, the heavy rains Sunday overnight resulted in an exceptionally easy edging process this year.
This is my trick:

I ordered this edging tool from a gardening catalog almost 15 years ago; I think some of the local gardening stores now carry it. It has been the perfect solution for me. A staight-edged shovel works great if you have Amazon legs, but if you have some decent upper body strength, this tool does an amazing job. (It also allows you to skip out on your workout at the gym!)


The secret is the serrated edge. It saws right through the sod - much easier than tramping on a shovel. If the ground is soft enough, you can easily remove the sod by hand. If not, you can then use the shovel to finish up.
I still have a ways to go, but I'm off to a good start!

No comments:

Post a Comment