All Things Andrea

All Things Andrea

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Storing Mushrooms

OK, maybe I'm the only one who had trouble with this, but I could never figure how out to store the loose mushrooms that I regularly buy at the farmer's market. I would buy a beautiful batch of mushrooms, only to have them shrivel up or turn brown before I had a chance to use them. I knew you should store them in a brown paper bag in the refrigerator, but they always shriveled up if I did that. Then I tried storing them in a plastic bag, but they would get slimy and turn brown. I started adding a paper towel to the plastic bag to absorb moisture. That helped, but still didn't do the trick. So, last Tuesday when I was at Root's and saw that the mushrooms were exceptionally nice, I asked the gal, "What's the best way to store these lovely mushrooms?!" She said to store them in a closed brown paper bag in the vegetable crisper drawer of the refrigerator. Ah ha - so that's the trick I was missing! I followed her instructions, and a week and a half later they are almost as fresh as the day I bought them - yea!! I love mushrooms!

No comments:

Post a Comment